Do you think she’s pregnant?
An unplanned pregnancy can be frightening for yourself, but even more so for your partner. She needs you now more then ever. She needs to know she is not alone and that the two of you can get through this together. It’s vitally important that you provide her with the support she needs, both emotionally and physically. Not sure what that looks like? Here are some tips on how you can do this.
What to do:
- Find out for sure that she’s pregnant before making any decisions or rushing to any conclusions. Grace Women’s Care Center offers lab-grade pregnancy testing and confirmation at no cost to her.
- Talk with her and listen to her. Ask her how she’s feeling and listen for ways you can help. Most importantly, simply be there for her. Sometimes, the best way to help is to just present with her.
- Talk with the people who care about both of your well-beings. In addition to keeping the lines of communication open between the two of you, it can also be helpful to discuss the situation with parents and others who are invested in your lives. In some cases, keeping the pregnancy and your emotions a secret can add stress in a time where staying calm is necessary.
- Learn about where she can go for help during her unplanned pregnancy. Encourage her to explore all of her pregnancy options before making a decision. Grace Women’s Care Center provides free pregnancy options counseling to women and men in our community. Offer to come with her to the appointment if she would like you to.
- Be honest with her and yourself. Own and share at all times how you feel. You’ll be surprised at how much it will help her to know that you may share the same concerns.
What not to do:
- Don’t shame her. She may already feel guilty, embarrassed, or ashamed. Instead, devote yourself to being a safe and comforting person for her. Stay positive and encouraging.
- Don’t pressure her to make any decisions. She has choices to make and she needs to know that you’re in this together and will be with her every step of the way.
- Don’t close yourself off emotionally or stop communicating with her. Most women in an unplanned pregnancy already feel alone. Be intentional about remaining present with her and don’t be afraid to express your feelings or add your input whenever it’s needed.
- Don’t run from your responsibilities. While the situation may be frightening, the more you try to avoid it, the harder things will be. Be honest with her about your concerns and discuss what each of you need from the other for support.
Have more questions? Need more help? Please reach out to us at any time if you need support or simply someone to talk to. We’re here for you.